The global pandemic has transformed the way people utilize their free time. Previously, after-work hours would be reserved for hanging out with friends at a local pub or get-togethers with family for dinners. However, today, staying home is a luxury, and most people dread having to leave their homes. What if there was a way to stay engaged without stepping out?
Excited, right? The answer lies in the palm of your hands. Yes, you guessed it right! It is your phone. Mobile devices are the go-to form of entertainment today, thanks to the wide range of apps available. There’s something for everyone. In this guide, you will learn about some of the top apps your phone must have so you can laze around all day without getting bored.
You can never go wrong with gaming apps. They are designed and developed to grab your attention and keep your mind occupied. With these apps installed on your phone, you won’t even desire to step out because entertainment comes home. Some of the popular gaming apps to install are:
- Spider Solitaire
Spider Solitaire is a variation of one of the oldest card games, Solitaire. To be online-ready, the game has gone through several updates and changes. Playing online Spider Solitaire means competing against random online opponents or friends. You can engage in 1V1 intense matches that are timed. There’s a countdown timer reminding you of the scarcity of time, so you can keep your competitive spirits alive.
The primary objective remains the same. Arrange the cards descendingly within five minutes and transfer as many finished builds as possible to the foundation pile.
Once you have learned the rules and played many practice matches, you can participate in ongoing tournaments and contests to win cash prizes. However, don’t forget to check your state’s regulations regarding the same. If there are limitations, you can continue playing practice matches, competing against online players, and enjoying the thrill of beating them.
- Candy Crush Saga
Candy Crush Saga is a highly addictive tile-matching game. The game has won millions of hearts globally and is easy to learn and play. In this tasty puzzle, you can spend hours matching candies. There are power-ups along the way to speed things up.
There are hundreds of levels, and the levels get more challenging as you proceed. The higher levels may take longer to beat than the initial ones. Also, there are several time-based tournaments to help you score more points. If you log in using your Facebook ID, you can connect with your friends and compare scores.
Keeping in touch is critical, but how can you do that without stepping out of your home? You can do so with the help of these fantastic apps:
A signal is the non-Facebook-owned version of WhatsApp. It is a secure app and great for those who seek privacy. You can share text and voice messages, videos, photos, files, and GIFs for free. This cross-platform centralized encrypted instant messaging application uses your phone’s data to keep you connected with your friends and family.
Skype is used by millions of businesses and individuals across the globe. The app is best known for its impressive file transfer capabilities, instant messaging, debt-based calls to mobile telephones and landlines, and video calls. This app can make group or one-to-one voice or video calls. It can be used on your mobile phone, tablet, or laptop.
Other apps for communicating with friends or family are WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, etc.
Besides these, there are other apps to keep you occupied. Some noteworthy ones are mentioned below.
- Duolingo (learn a new language) – Duolingo is a popular language-learning application. The app offers several test-taking activities to its users. So, you can assess how much you have learned and the areas you need to improve. There are set lessons offered by the app in foreign languages like Japanese, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Mandarin, French, etc.
- MUBI – Although Netflix is one of the most popular streaming applications in the world, and it will suffice your movie-watching needs, MUBI is an excellent app for getting introduced to world cinema. It is an underrated streaming application and offers an enviable collection of cult, classic, arthouse, and independent films.
- Audible – If you don’t have time to read books, you can download Audible. The app is a great companion for the asocial and lonely. There are hundreds of free titles for you to select from on this app. Once you select the titles, you can purchase and stream spoken word content. So, wear your headphones and listen to your favorite stories or podcasts.
- Tinder – If you wish to connect with new people and potentially date, install Tinder on your mobile device. Swiping left or right can be great fun, even if you don’t end up meeting them. Who knows, you might find your soulmate while relaxing on your couch.
- The Week – The Week is a magazine that collects and summarizes news from across the globe. The app provides its users with a daily briefing of what’s happening in the world but in a list format so that it is easier for you to scroll through while on the go or when you are in the mood to catch up on things. There are also some articles available on the app that you can read without a subscription.
How many of these apps are already installed on your phone? With these apps, you will never feel alone. They will keep you company and drive away boredom.